ST. LOUIS (AP) – A St. Charles County woman has been charged in federal court with cashing her dead mother’s checks from the federal Department of Veterans Affairs for eight years.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that 69-year-old Victoria Jean Briley of Wentzville was indicted Wednesday on one count of theft of government funds. The indictment was made public Thursday and says that Briley stole the survivor benefits from Feb. 1, 2006, through May 31 of this year
Online court records don’t list an attorney for Briley, who did not immediately return a message left with her son.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Supreme Court Tosses St. Louis Murder Convictions for Man on Death Row
- Minority Police Group to Declare ‘No Confidence’ in Chief Dotson
- Mascoutah Police Look for Shooter
- Suspect Arrested in Shooting of a Police Rookie
- Man Arrested in North County Shooting Death
- More Parolees Released in Ill. with Far Less Funding for Programs