Woman Charged with Stealing Dead Mother’s Checks
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (AP) - A St. Charles County woman has been charged in federal court with cashing her dead mother’s checks from the federal Department of Veterans Affairs for eight years.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that 69-year-old Victoria Jean Briley of Wentzville was indicted Wednesday on one count of theft of government funds. The indictment was made public Thursday and says that Briley stole the survivor benefits from Feb. 1, 2006, through May 31 of this year
Online court records don’t list an attorney for Briley, who did not immediately return a message left with her son.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Football Fans, Protesters Clash Outside Dome
- Woman Sexually Assaulted in Belleville
- Mothers March For End To Violence
- Report: Ferguson Officer Says He Feared For His Life
- New York Times Article Says Evidence Does Not Support Charges Against Officer in Michael Brown Shooting
- Drive By Shooting in North St. Louis Injures Two