ST. LOUIS (AP) – A St. Charles County woman has been charged in federal court with cashing her dead mother’s checks from the federal Department of Veterans Affairs for eight years.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that 69-year-old Victoria Jean Briley of Wentzville was indicted Wednesday on one count of theft of government funds. The indictment was made public Thursday and says that Briley stole the survivor benefits from Feb. 1, 2006, through May 31 of this year
Online court records don’t list an attorney for Briley, who did not immediately return a message left with her son.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Suspect Identified in Moline Acres Murder
- Six Teens Accused of Stealing $10,000 Worth of Firearms at Party
- St. Louis Murder Conviction Clouded After Discovery of Video
- UPDATE: Rock Hill Police Officer Struck, Injured by Vehicle
- Rock Hill Officer Hit By Car, Two Men Arrested
- Chicago Cop Who Shot Teen Now Suing Grieving Family