ST. LOUIS (AP) – A section of Interstate 44 in St. Louis will be closed in both directions this weekend for work that is part of the project to renovate the area around the Gateway Arch.
The Missouri Department of Transportation will close I-44 from Broadway near the Edward Jones Dome to the Poplar Street Bridge. The Eads Bridge will be closed. The closure is from 8 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Wednesday.
Crews will place girders over the interstate as part of the project that will place a park over the roadway, which will better allow movement between the Arch grounds and the rest of downtown. It’s part of a $380 million upgrade of the area around the iconic monument.
MoDOT plans detours to help motorists get around the closure.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Dotson, Aldermen Still Search For Higher City Cop Salaries
- Clergy Issues Demands Aimed At Stopping Police Shootings
- Food Allergies: The Deadly Dish Part 1
- Roof Fire at Sweetie Pie’s Restaurant Deemed Suspicious
- Woman Stabs Boyfriend, Walked to Store to Confess
- PHOTOS: Police Search For South County US Bank Robbery Suspect