ST. LOUIS (AP) – A section of Interstate 44 in St. Louis will be closed in both directions this weekend for work that is part of the project to renovate the area around the Gateway Arch.
The Missouri Department of Transportation will close I-44 from Broadway near the Edward Jones Dome to the Poplar Street Bridge. The Eads Bridge will be closed. The closure is from 8 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Wednesday.
Crews will place girders over the interstate as part of the project that will place a park over the roadway, which will better allow movement between the Arch grounds and the rest of downtown. It’s part of a $380 million upgrade of the area around the iconic monument.
MoDOT plans detours to help motorists get around the closure.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- St. Louis County Council Okays Probe Of Police Patrols On MetroLink
- Appeals Court: Ferguson Lawsuit Can Proceed
- Missouri Sends Governor Bill Tightening Abortion Regulations
- Girl Scouts Add 23 New Badges For STEM Education
- Asbestos Clean-Up Underway After Clemens Mansion Fire
- Paul DeJong: From College Walk-On, to Big-League Slugger