1 Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
GRANITE CITY, Ill. (KMOX) – The investigation continues at the scene where two police officers opened fire on a suspect, killing him early this morning in Granite City.
Investigators are trying to determine why the 45-year-old St. Charles man called police to a Casey’s General Store at 4:12 this morning, when the store was closed.
Illinois State Police Master Sergeant Mark Doiron says when two Granite City officers approached his vehicle, the man pointed a gun at them from behind his car.
“They gave him several verbal commands to drop the firearm, he did not, fearing for their life, they discharged their service weapons, striking the individual several times,” Doiron says.
The man was pronounced dead on the scene. His name is not being released yet.
It’s not known if he fired any shots at the officers.
Doiron says the weapons will be taken to the lab for processing.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- UPDATE: Street Musician Attacked Near Ballpark Village
- Lawsuit: St. Louis Suburb’s Courts Violate Rights of Poor
- UPDATE: St. Louis Murder Victims Identified
- UPDATE: Man Sought in Front Porch Murder
- St. Louis Police Train Civilians to Observe and Report
- Police: Suspect Robbed People in South City Drive-Thru Line