Gyrocopter Crashes in Southeast Missouri
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (AP) – The pilot of gyrocopter is hospitalized after the experimental aircraft crashed into a field near Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
The Southeast Missourian reports that the accident happened Thursday. The pilot’s name and condition have not been released but Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s Department Capt. David James says he appears to be recovering.
The owner of the field says the aircraft was flying low when it hit a wire and crashed. It had taken off from nearby Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.
Gyrocopters are helicopter-style aircraft with a pair of propellers, one on top and one on the back.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Man Sought In Toddler’s Shooting Death
- Legislatures Confident in Stopping State Bonds for NFL Stadium
- Industry Leaders Expect Construction Boom in St. Louis
- Workplaces Call for More Safety After TV Reporters Killed
- Abduction Attempt Reported In Mascoutah
- Ferguson Mayor Thanks Protesters for Helping Jamyla Bolden Case