CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (AP) – The pilot of gyrocopter is hospitalized after the experimental aircraft crashed into a field near Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
The Southeast Missourian reports that the accident happened Thursday. The pilot’s name and condition have not been released but Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s Department Capt. David James says he appears to be recovering.
The owner of the field says the aircraft was flying low when it hit a wire and crashed. It had taken off from nearby Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.
Gyrocopters are helicopter-style aircraft with a pair of propellers, one on top and one on the back.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Hastert Wants Victim’s Suit Over Unpaid Hush Money Tossed
- OSHA: Heat Blamed in Landscaper’s Death in Poplar Bluff
- Monitor Chosen to Oversee Ferguson’s Police, Court Reforms
- Major Water Main Break in Clayton Floods Clayton Road
- Freight Train Derails in Maryland Heights
- Fresh Produce Shortages at Area Schnucks Grocery Stores