Gyrocopter Crashes in Southeast Missouri
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (AP) - The pilot of gyrocopter is hospitalized after the experimental aircraft crashed into a field near Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
The Southeast Missourian reports that the accident happened Thursday. The pilot’s name and condition have not been released but Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s Department Capt. David James says he appears to be recovering.
The owner of the field says the aircraft was flying low when it hit a wire and crashed. It had taken off from nearby Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.
Gyrocopters are helicopter-style aircraft with a pair of propellers, one on top and one on the back.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Finalists for Ferguson-Florissant Superintendent See Opportunity
- Metro Transit’s Old Laclede’s Landing Building Could Turn Residential
- Juvenile Detained in Missouri Kidnapping Case
- Homes Evacuated in Bowling Green After Natural Gas Pipeline Breaks
- Help Wanted: Consultant to Decide if Rams Stadium is Doable
- McCaskill Issues Statement: ‘The Keystone Pipeline – A Commonsense Approach’