CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (AP) – The pilot of gyrocopter is hospitalized after the experimental aircraft crashed into a field near Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
The Southeast Missourian reports that the accident happened Thursday. The pilot’s name and condition have not been released but Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s Department Capt. David James says he appears to be recovering.
The owner of the field says the aircraft was flying low when it hit a wire and crashed. It had taken off from nearby Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.
Gyrocopters are helicopter-style aircraft with a pair of propellers, one on top and one on the back.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Appeals Court to Hear Woman’s Fight For Her Frozen Embryos
- Nixon Completes Rice Sale From Missouri to Cuba
- Hope of Illinois Budget Agreement Dimming Before Deadline
- Dotson Rails Against St. Louis Circuit Judges
- Illinois House Agrees to Medical Marijuana Program Extension
- Slay to Sign Prescription Drug Monitoring Law Tuesday