Gyrocopter Crashes in Southeast Missouri
Get Breaking News First
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (AP) - The pilot of gyrocopter is hospitalized after the experimental aircraft crashed into a field near Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
The Southeast Missourian reports that the accident happened Thursday. The pilot’s name and condition have not been released but Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s Department Capt. David James says he appears to be recovering.
The owner of the field says the aircraft was flying low when it hit a wire and crashed. It had taken off from nearby Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.
Gyrocopters are helicopter-style aircraft with a pair of propellers, one on top and one on the back.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- St. Louis Lands 500 More Boeing Jobs
- Sports Open Line: Joe Sheehan, Jordan Schultz
- Judge Hears Testimony on Five-Second Rule
- POLL: Race for County Executive Seat is a Statistical Tie
- Rezoning of Charlestowne Crossing Approved by St. Charles City Council
- St. Louis School Secretary Pleads Guilty to Transporting Minor to Engage in Sexual Activity