McCaskill Confident VA Benefits Package Will Be Finalized Before August Recess
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill says she’s sure Congress will be able to finalize the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs benefits package before Congress recesses in August.
“We put the magic key in the magic lock and we have the House republican chairman agreeing the Senate democratic chairman,” McCaskill says. “That’s usually the first piece of the puzzle that has to be put in place, and then usually everything falls in line.”
Though some are angry that the compromise will likely include the VA’s ability to award up to $360 million in bonuses each year for the next 10 years, McCaskill says the problem isn’t that bonuses are given, but who they’re given to and for what reason.
She says this legislation would help “clean house” of those involved in the health-care scandal.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- Petitions Filed to Allow Medical Marijuana Use in Missouri
- Proposed St. Louis NFL Stadium Gets a Name
- Oregon Shooting Puts Pressure on Missouri’s Mental Health Coalition
- UPDATED: Illinois Panel OKs Medical Marijuana for 8 Health Conditions
- Controversy at MetroEast School After Student Wears Confederate Flag Shirt
- Landfill Neighbors to Deliver Signatures to Governor’s Office