Maryville Park to be Dedicated to Pastor Shot During Service
Get Breaking News First
MARYVILLE, Mo. (KMOX) - Five years ago, a Metro East minister was gunned down during a church service in front of his horrified congregation at First Baptist Church of Maryville.
Since then, funds have been raised to establish a 5-acre park at Maryville’s former wastewater treatment lagoon on the village’s south end.
Now, Pastor Fred Winters’ name will live on forever in the new park that will be dedicated in his memory tomorrow.
“One of our pillars of the community, everybody knew Pastor Fred—that’s what pretty much everyone called him was Pastor Fred,” Mayor Larry Gulledge says.
Mayor Gulledge says he realizes other communities might dedicate a statue or name an elementary school after a local hero, but a place of quiet reflection seemed appropriate in this case. He says Pastor Fred was very active in civic progress, and always brought his youth group on park clean-up days.
“This is a passive park, and Fred was a very active guy,” he says. “So, he might have a problem with this being a passive park.”
Fred Winters Park in Maryville will be dedicated Saturday at 10 a.m.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- St. Louis Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk Happening Saturday Afternoon
- Mo. State Senator: Ferguson is ‘Experiencing PTSD Right Now’
- Some Bands are Saying They’re Done with St. Louis as Rash of Thefts Continues
- UPDATED: St. Louis Police Seek Driver of Car in Fatal Wreck
- Guide to Developments in Ferguson Police Shooting
- Two Rescued from House Fire in North St. Louis