ST. LOUIS (AP) – A St. Louis County woman who was mistakenly arrested and jailed by city police in 2009 has filed a federal civil lawsuit against police and jail officials.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports 42-year-old Shannon Renee McNeal was arrested on a warrant intended for Shannon Raquel McNeal, who was 19 years younger and had died months earlier. Authorities knew Shannon Raquel McNeal was dead but issued the arrest warrant anyway pending receipt of a death certificate.
A 2013 Post-Dispatch investigation found about 100 people who had been mistakenly arrested in recent years and collectively spent at least 2,000 days in jail. St. Louis Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce and Mayor Francis Slay’s office have said those mistakes constitute only a tiny fraction of arrests and involved mostly older cases.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Court Strikes Down St. Louis Co. Police Standards
- “Tax by the Mile” Alternative Passes Illinois Legislature
- Army Veteran Spearheads Medical Pot Effort
- Illinois Senate Approves $454 Million More for Colleges
- Alderwoman Proposes Bill for Prescription Painkiller Database
- City of STL Makes Finishing Touches to $489M Balanced Budget