Wood River to Apply for Medical Marijuana License
WOOD RIVER, Ill. (KMOX) – A second Metro East community is entering the sweepstakes to become the home of the region’s medical marijuana farm.
Wood River is joining Marissa in applying for the license, which will be granted in October.
The city council unanimously approved entering into an agreement with Largo Meds, LLC, which would operate the facility in a now-empty building in the city’s enviro-tech park.
Mayor Fred Ufert says that while some oppose the idea, the city can’t ignore the economic benefits.
“The city of Wood River will receive 5 percent of the gross revenue off the top, minus the property taxes that they pay, and there will be approximately 30 jobs,” he says.
The state will issue licenses to one medical marijuana facility in each state police district.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Judge Tosses Lawsuit Against Sperm Bank Over Biracial Child
- Father Charged in Toddler’s Shooting Death
- Star Wars Product Rollout Greeted by Enthusiastic Fans
- Late Missouri Trooper Eulogized as Christian, Ethical
- Castle Point Man Charged in South St. Louis Homicide
- Neighbors Question 11-Year-Old’s Motive in Fatal Shooting