Toddler Critically Injured in Attack By Family Dog
ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KMOX) - A toddler is hospitalized in critical condition after being attacked by the family dog Thursday night.
Lt. Dave Tiefenbrunn says it happened on Essex near I-70 and Zumbehl in St. Charles County.
He says the 80-pound pit bull turned on the 22-month-old girl, and when the child’s grandmother tried to help she was also attacked.
Two other children went to get help.
“They ran next door, told the neighbor what happened, and the neighbor grabbed a steak knife and ended up stabbing the dog multiple times,” he says.
The 10-year-old dog survived, but has since been euthanized.
The girl suffered severe blood loss after numerous bites to the face, neck and body.
The grandmother lost parts of fingers on both her hands in the attack.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Hot-Spot Policing Underway in Four St. Louis Neighborhoods
- Retired Circuit Judge Urges Caution in Changing Way Bonds Are Set
- Bond Proposal Would Turn MoDOT Headquarters into Legislature Space
- St. Louis County Drug Task Force Accused of Violating State Law
- STL County Police Investigating Jamestown Mall Break-In
- Missouri Suicide Rates On the Rise