FERGUSON, Mo. (KMOX/AP) – A St. Louis rally is planned for this weekend, led by civil rights activist Al Sharpton and the parents of an unarmed teenager killed in a racially charged police shooting.
Michael Brown’s mother, Lesley McSpadden, his father, Michael Brown Sr., and their attorney, Benjamin Crump, will be in attendance.
Sharpton’s National Action Network says the event at 3 p.m. Sunday at Greater Grace Church in Ferguson also will include the son of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., Martin Luther King III.
Sharpton says the rally is meant to press for justice in the case of 18-year-old Michael Brown. That young black man was unarmed when he was shot to death during a confrontation with a white officer in Ferguson on Saturday.
The shooting has stoked days of racial unrest in that largely black suburb and questions about the militaristic tactics police have used to quell rioting and looting there.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- “Ferguson Collaborative” Lays Out Consent Decree Demands
- STL Police Assoc. Takes Unanimous No Confidence Vote in Circuit Attorney
- Man Gets 6 Years for Break-In, Looting in Ferguson Unrest
- Ferguson To Trump: Come See What We’re Really Like
- Trump Says Ferguson Among Most Dangerous Places in World
- Ferguson Man Charged with Killing Father