FERGUSON, Mo. (KMOX) – All schools in the Ferguson-Florissant School District will be closed Tuesday, August 19 through Friday, August 22 due to continued unrest in and around Ferguson, the district announced Monday night.
A release sent out by the district states that the decision “was made after much careful deliberation and consideration of input received from local law enforcement officials and District security staff.”
“We believe that closing schools for the rest of this week will allow needed time for peace and stability to be restored to our community and allow families to plan ahead for the additional days that children will be out of school,” the release states. “While we deeply regret this delay to the start of the 2014-2015 school year, our first priority is the safety of our students.”
Due to this change, the first day of school in the Ferguson-Florissant School District will be on Monday, August 25.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Missouri Court Overturns Law Enacted After Ferguson Unrest
- Police Say Man in Ferguson Photo is Apparent Suicide
- Audit: Ferguson Courts ‘In Disarray’ After Police Killing
- Judge Rejects Effort to Reinstall Painting in Capitol
- Municipal Election Results – Highlights
- Ferguson Re-Elects James Knowles as Mayor