Student Dies After Suffering Medical Emergency at Basketball Practice
O’FALLON, Ill. (AP) – A student at a southwest Illinois junior high school has died after suffering a medical emergency during a basketball practice.
The eighth grader at Fulton Jr. High School went to the bathroom during training Wednesday for his basketball club and didn’t come back.
District 90 Superintendent Douglas Wood tells the Belleville News-Democrat that the student was found there later in distress and was taken to a hospital. There were no details on what illness or medical condition the boy was suffering.
St. Clair County Coroner Rick Stone says an autopsy would be performed Thursday.
The area has been under a heat advisory, but Wood said he did not think heat was an issue in the gym, which is air conditioned.
The student’s name was not immediately released.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Melee at St. Louis City Hall During Hearing on Police Oversight Board
- Endangered Person Alert Issued for Missing Woman
- Missouri House to Halt Committee Meetings at Country Club
- Rep. Keith English Leaves House Democrats to Become Independent
- Area Law Enforcement Working to Combat Heroin
- STL Police Search for Suspects Who Stole From Woman in Car