CHICAGO (KMOX/AP) — Republican U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk says the United States should take a hard line against the Islamic State group.
Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff. It also warns President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the group continue there will be continued violence.
Kirk calls the reported beheading cruel and barbaric. He says the U.S. should take effective military action. He also told reporters Tuesday after an unrelated event in Chicago that Obama should “bomb the hell out of them.”
Kirk says there’s little hope that those who are in the hands of the group will return.
He also wants the White House to work with Turkey and other points of entry to keep freelance journalists from putting themselves in harm’s way.
“We can work with the Turks to cut off the supply of free journalists to that area,” he says.
The Islamic State has conquered wide territory across Syria and Iraq and has declared itself a caliphate.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- Illinois Lawmakers Sue to Get Paid Despite State Budget Mess
- Stenger Calls EPA’s Work on West Lake Landfill a ‘National Disgrace’
- First Day of Increased Age Requirement to Buy Tobacco in County
- Chappelle-Nadal Offers $5,000 Challenge to STL Mayoral Candidates
- Lawsuits Challenge Abortion Restrictions in 3 States
- City Manager Lehman Walker Suspended in University City