Expert: Is a Low-Carb Diet Better Than a Low-Fat Diet?
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - A new study finds the best diet for weight loss and heart health may be a low-carb diet.
Saint Louis University cardiologist Dr. Michael Lim says this Tulane University study only tested 150 patients, all of whom were obese. He says a heart healthy diet isn’t as simple as choosing to just restrict carbs or fats from what you eat.
“We should limit our fats, we should limit our carbohydrates, we should eat fruits and vegetables, we should eat protein, we should stay away from sugars and sweeteners in our drinks, we should exercise regularly,” Lim says.
Lim says these are the tried and true ways to lose weight.
“Unfortunately, there’s no easy solution,” he says. “There’s no shortcut. You can’t just do one thing—you have to have a well-balanced diet.”
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE HEALTH NEWS:
- FDA Going After Sellers of Pure Caffeine Powder
- POLL: Police Killings of Unarmed Blacks Top Story of 2014
- Possible Chickenpox at Pinckneyville Prison
- Prepackaged Caramel Apples Linked to 4 Deaths
- A Smell in the Air, Contaminated Groundwater Below
- Mo. Rep. Pushes Bill Requiring Father’s Signature for Abortion, Except in Cases of ‘Legitimate Rape’