Viewers Became”Fact-Checkers” During Presidential Debate

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – While millions of TV sets were tuned to the presidential debate Monday night, they were also using their laptops or devices to Google topics or questions about each candidate.

Google trends expert Daniel Sieberg says issues around race, ISIS, voter registration, national debt and more were searched. Viewers not only googled topics, but also questions.

Sieberg says some of the most asked questions were:

  • “Is stop and frisk unconstitutional?”
  • “What e-mails did Hillary Clinton delete?”
  • “Did Trump support the Iraq war?”

He says the viewing public now has its own “fact-checking” devices at their fingertips. Sieberg adds one of the top questions for Clinton was, “What happened in Benghazi?” Trump’s top question was, “How many times has Donald Trump filed for bankruptcy?”

While polls before the debate showed that the race is neck-and-neck, one candidate last night won when it came to number of searches.

“Hillary Clinton received roughly 60 percent of the search interest verses Donald Trump receiving about the other 40 percent,” Sieberg says.

Sieberg says the numbers were reflected about the same in different states when broken down geographically.

(TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Live Inspired
KMOX Podcasts

Listen Live