CBS Local — A 16-year-old boy collapsed then died in a classroom on April 26 in South Carolina.

A coroner has ruled that his heart problems were caused by “too much caffeine,” via AP.

Davis Allen Cripe had consumed a large Mountain Dew, a latte from McDonald’s and an energy drink in the two hours preceding his death, Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said at a news conference.

“We lost Davis from a totally legal substance,” Watts said. “It was so much caffeine at the time of his death, that it caused his arrhythmia.”

Watts reminds us of the dangers an excess of caffeinated drinks can be.

“These drinks can be very dangerous,” he says. “I’m telling my friends and family don’t drink them.”

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook

More From CBS St. Louis

Shop KMOX Apparel
KMOX Podcasts

Listen Live