Health Topic Center
CBS St. Louis Health News
- Getting the Jump on Cancer with Preventative Surgeries Angelina Jolie had her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed after a recent blood test showed a possible early sign of cancer.
- County Health Rankings Contain Good, Bad News St. Louis, St. Charles and Monroe Counties do well. City of St. Louis does not.
- Actor Jon Hamm Completes Rehab Publicist says St. Louis native was treated for alcohol addiction
- SIUE Begins Fire Safety Program For Freshmen Funding comes from families of two former students who died in 2012 off-campus blaze
- Should the Minimum Age to Buy Cigarettes Be Raised? The suggestion is part of a study by the Institute of Medicine, which found a minimum age of 21 would reduce smoking prevalence by about 12 percent and smoking-related deaths by nearly 10 percent.
- St. Louis County School Closes Due to Stomach Virus St. Norbert Catholic School has so many students and teachers out sick that the school decided to close on Friday and thoroughly clean rooms.
- Apple Watch & ResearchKit Raise Privacy Concerns Apple's announcement brought the potential for a healthier future with innovative technology that’s guaranteed to take the world by storm for its practicality and it’s privacy risks.
- Bird Flu Confirmed at Second Turkey Farm in Missouri Missouri health and safety officials are working with poultry farmers to stop the outbreak.
- HIPAA, Wiretapping Laws Pose Legal Questions for Nursing Home Cameras The fact that the systems would be controlled over the Internet has also raised concerns about hackers.
- Homeowners Group Relents, OKs Playhouse for Girl with Cancer A young girl with leukemia who asked for a playhouse in her backyard, but was denied after a homeowners association blocked it, will get her wish after all.
- Illinois' Heroin-Fighting Program Costs $25M Bipartisan bill would also address prescription drug abuse
- Illinois Lawmakers Will Soon Consider Cameras in Nursing Homes Rep. Greg Harris says the Illinois bill would allow nursing home residents and their families to install recording devices in their rooms.
- Winter Storm Warning Reminders St. Louis city health department has phone numbers & website information, as well as tips for staying safe in a winter storm.
- Red Cross: Harsh Winter Depleting Blood Donations Endless snow, extreme cold, and widespread flu keeping donors at home.
- Lawsuit Claims Purina’s ‘Beneful’ Sickens Dogs; Mizzou Vet Professor Not Certain A class-action lawsuit claims thousands of animals have been sickened or killed by the dry dog food.