Tom Ackerman is Sports Director at KMOX, overseeing a department that serves as the flagship station for the St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Blues. He is also the lead sports anchor on “Total Information A.M.”
In 15 years at KMOX, Ackerman has worked as a host, play-by-play announcer, anchor, reporter and producer since beginning his career at the radio station in 1997. He’s interviewed the biggest names in sports, covering Super Bowls, World Series, All-Star Games and Final Fours.
Ackerman, 37, has held play-by-play duties for University of Missouri men’s basketball, worked the sidelines on Mizzou football broadcasts, and hosted pregame and postgame shows for the Cardinals and Blues. He’s traveled throughout the NFL as a reporter covering the Rams.
Nationally, Ackerman calls television play-by-play of Missouri Valley Conference men’s basketball and football — as well as featured basketball games on radio for Compass Media Networks, having called such rivalries as Syracuse-Georgetown and North Carolina-N.C. State. In 2010, he called Kansas State’s upset of No. 1 Kansas.
Ackerman emcees dozens of area events each year, including the annual Jack Buck Sports Awards at the Missouri Athletic Club, recognizing the top sports personalities in St. Louis. He lends his voice to several charity dinners, including the National Sportsmanship Awards and the Variety Telethon.
In 2009, he performed as the soloist at Powell Symphony Hall, narrating the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra’s performance of “Blue Planet – Live!” Ackerman has also served as a public address announcer at the Edward Jones Dome.
Active in the community, Ackerman has a passion for helping local charities, volunteering for a number of organizations each year, including the St. Louis Men’s Group Against Cancer. He is also a board member of the St. Louis Sports Commission Associates, whose mission is to help make the region a better place to live, visit, work, and play through sports.
In 2004, Ackerman was included in the St. Louis Business Journal’s “30 Under 30,” which notes young professionals in the St. Louis metropolitan area who are on their way to establishing prominent careers. In 2003, the Riverfront Times named him St. Louis’ best reporter (Radio/TV) in its annual “Best of St. Louis” issue.
Ackerman began his broadcasting career calling play-by-play for Indiana University basketball, football, and baseball for WIUS-AM in Bloomington (1993-1997). He currently serves as Vice President of the IU Alumni Association’s St. Louis Chapter.
A St. Louis native, Tom is a graduate of Indiana University and St. Louis Country Day School. He and his wife, Angie, live in St. Louis with their daughters, Erika and Audrey.
FIVE QUESTIONS WITH TOM:
What is your favorite St. Louis activity?
Attending Cardinals games with my daughter or exploring Forest Park
What would you do if you weren’t in radio?
President of a professional sports franchise
Do you have any pets?
Wally, a 4-year-old Sheltie
Share one random fact.
I once caddied for Bob Knight
If you could live anywhere else in the country, where would it be?
San Diego or New York
- Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in... Local Artists Find Success on...
- Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils... Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows
- Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Hazardous Household Waste...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Andy Cohen At Busch Shelby's Big Night Bravo's Andy Cohen Featured...
- Branson Recovers from Tornado, Loss of Stars cbsloc.al/10QYAWB #mo 7 hours ago
- Missouri Social Services Director Resigns cbsloc.al/13GuhWC #MO 9 hours ago
- Church Van Accident on I-70 Leaves 5 Dead cbsloc.al/Z94h6N #Il 9 hours ago
- Metal Detectors, Bag Restrictions For Senior PGA Championship cbsloc.al/12HK06U It will be held this week at Bellerive Country Club 10 hours ago