Army Corps of Engineers
“Any kind of supply disruption during this critical time of the year is very similar to having a supply chain disruption for retailers prior to the Christmas season.”
“If we recognize there’s a drought across the entire Midwest, that means they don’t necessarily have the water to release to support the Mississippi River.”
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers destroyed the town of Pinhook when it blasted the Birds Point levee in 2011, knowingly sending the Mississippi River gushing into homes there. But it did not destroy the community.
Right now, the water level is so low that the rocks threaten to halt barge traffic, leaving thousands of barge workers out of a job.
Low water on the river between East St. Louis and Cairo may limit barge traffic, affecting the transportation of grain and coal.
A nationwide drought, the worst to hit the U.S. in decades, has lowered water levels along the Mississippi River, threatening barge traffic.
U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri may seek a presidential emergency declaration in an effort to keep barges moving on the drought-riddled Mississippi River.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans three meetings this week to hear the public’s ideas for the future of Table Rock Lake.
This has been an ongoing problem in the past few years for St. Louis because it effects barge traffic.
During the process of cleaning up the old Mallinckrodt site north of the McKinley Bridge, crews found the presence of radiation in an MSD manhole.
- American Legion Memorial... Chelsea vs Manchester City Soccer Match Pep Rally at... Practice Round at Senior PGA
- Chelsea vs Manchester City... Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma...
- Circus Flora Tent Arrives in... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013
- Landmarks Association Unveils... Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To...
- Have you been effected by cuts caused by the sequester? cbsloc.al/1aceFuk 2 hours ago
- How safe are your community parking garages? cbsloc.al/14Dm0SW 5 hours ago
- Pick-a-Side: Which Is Your Favorite Fun In The Sun Activity? cbsloc.al/153cW9E 6 hours ago
- Missouri Motorcycle Riders Had Good Legislative Year >> cbsloc.al/11ekXnK 7 hours ago