The conference announced the decision Wednesday after university presidents approved the new moniker earlier in the day.
Butler and Xavier are leaving the Atlantic 10. Creighton departs the Missouri Valley Conference.
It’s a rarity at this level, in any sport, for a head coach to have had no playing experience in college. It hasn’t prevented Williams from guiding Marquette to the Sweet 16 the last two seasons and a 60-30 regular season record in the Big East.
The death of the Big East as we know it hit home last week as 14 teams arrived at the World’s Most Famous Arena (Connecticut was ineligible). Next season, the “Catholic 7” will be reportedly joined by Butler, Creighton, and Xavier in a basketball-only conference that has paid to keep the Big East name.
Yesterday was a relatively drama-free Selection Sunday. Joe Lunardi was a perfect 68 for 68, as Middle Tennessee State, St. Mary’s, Boise State, and La Salle claimed the final spots in the field. Louisville, Gonzaga, Kansas, and Indiana earned the top seeds.
Moves could be announced as early as this coming week.
Jim Larranaga’s team has had a banner season, but they’ll likely have to beat Duke for a second time this season — this time with Ryan Kelly — to reinforce their potential to go deep in the NCAA Tournament.
The Seton Hall Pirates (15-17) waited until the final minute of regulation to make it interesting, but the team from South Orange rallied in overtime to a 46-42 victory over the South Florida Bulls (12-19).
Notre Dame will join the Atlantic Coast Conference starting next season, a year earlier than expected, following the split among the Big East’s football schools and seven Catholic schools that forming their own basketball-focused conference.
- Circus Flora Tent Arrives in... Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils...
- Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove
- Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Hazardous Household Waste... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Andy Cohen At Busch
- Shelby's Big Night Bravo's Andy Cohen Featured... One World Trade Center Fast Food Strike in St. Louis
- VIDEO: Deadly Tornadoes Left Earth ‘Scoured’: cbsloc.al/14K37NH 26 minutes ago
- I-70 just west of Vandalia, #IL now open after this morning's accident that left 5 dead. cbsloc.al/115INIf 38 minutes ago
- Furloughs To Hit More Than 6,000 Military Workers cbsloc.al/18cPloE 44 minutes ago
- Reality Star Paul Teutul Sr. In #STL To Unveil ‘Black Flag’ Chopper cbsloc.al/10Qxz5n 1 hour ago