Attorney General Chris Koster says he won’t appeal a federal court ruling striking down a Missouri law that exempted moral objectors from an insurance requirement to cover birth control.
The measure, which was sent to the House by a 24-9 Senate vote, was touted by its sponsor as a way to protect the rights of business owners.
U.S. District Judge Audrey Fleissig cited a provision in the U.S. Constitution declaring that federal laws take precedence over contradictory state laws.
Ruling overturns lawmakers’ override of Gov. Nixon’s veto.
In a group of more than nine thousand local women, free birth control dropped abortion rates by more than 62 percent.
The scene that unfolded at the Missouri Capitol this past week revealed the pressures and pitfalls of sexual politics in the U.S. — and nowhere have they been more intense recently than in Missouri.
Missouri senators have voted to override Gov. Jay Nixon’s veto of a bill expanding religious exceptions for insurance coverage of birth control.
The basic fact is that Romney, Ryan and Republican’s are uncomfortable with a few of the words Congressman Akin used. They are not, however, uncomfortable with the policy position he was expressing. The record shows that they march in lockstep with Congressman Akin.
Congressman Akin’s comments are unconscionable and while Congressman Akin owns the words that came from his mouth, the sentiment and his policy goals are shared by both Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, despite their statements today.
Catholic Charities and the Archdiocese of St. Louis are filing suit against President Obama and the Health care mandate because of the provision regarding contraception coverage.
- Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils...
- Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove
- Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Hazardous Household Waste... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Andy Cohen At Busch
- RT @damianpaletta: I'll be on @KMOX in a few minutes with @charliekmox talking about #IRS. Tune in St. Louis! 3 hours ago
- RT @DebbieMonterrey: @LarryConnersUSA joins @charliekmox and me on @KMOX at 9:05 stlouis.cbslocal.com/#listen-live 4 hours ago
- RT @KMOX: 9:05a-Charlie & Debbie talk with fired KMOV Anchor Larry Conners. kmox.com/listen 4 hours ago
- Traffic Increasing at Lambert Airport cbsloc.al/16U8BKq 4 hours ago