To keep the channel open, the corps used dredging barges and explosives to remove rock pinnacles in the river near Thebes, Ill.
The corps used explosives at the three points on the levee in May 2011 as floodwaters threatened nearby Cairo, Ill.
The corps has hired contractors to use explosives to remove the pinnacles that stretch over about six miles near Thebes, Ill.
The capacity of barges and the number of barges in tow are down, cutting tonnage by 45 percent, while the cost of fuel, personnel and time is the same.
That is not good news for water levels on the Mississippi River which already threaten to slow down, if not shut down, barge traffic between St. Louis and Cairo, Illinois.
The drought has withered crops and lowered the Mississippi River’s levels to a point that could force slowdowns, if not shutdowns, of barge traffic.
State Sen. Donne Trotter was charged Wednesday with a felony count for allegedly trying to board an aircraft with a weapon.
Months of drought have left the Mississippi near historic low levels, a problem worsened last month when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reduced the outflow from an upper Missouri River dam.
Low water on the river between East St. Louis and Cairo may limit barge traffic, affecting the transportation of grain and coal.
A contract was awarded last week for a $7.8 million project to construct two earthen berms and a 4,200-foot trench at Cairo, IL.
- Circus Flora Tent Arrives in... Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils...
- Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove
- Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Hazardous Household Waste... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Andy Cohen At Busch
- Shelby's Big Night Bravo's Andy Cohen Featured... One World Trade Center Fast Food Strike in St. Louis
- Macy’s Closing Downtown St. Louis Location cbsloc.al/10J3lnY 55 minutes ago
- RT @MLynchOnAir: See the workshops of local @Etsy artists featured on #KMOX this week. stlouis.cbslocal.com/photo-gallerie… 1 hour ago
- RT @brettblumekmox: Paul Teutul Sr. head honcho at Orange County Choppers sits astride the custom-made bike for Black Flag. http://t.co/Ad0… 1 hour ago
- Some Discouraged From Prostate Cancer Screening Under New Guidelines cbsloc.al/10Q8A2f 2 hours ago