“Akin has received threats of rape of his official staff, family and the Congressman himself along with suggestions that individuals should die.”
If you had to pick one factor to explain the difficulties encountered during the 2012 session of Missouri’s legislature, it would have to be term limits.
With the past week’s budget filibuster in Missouri’s Senate, I thought some of the war stories of past years would be of interest.
Jim Mulvaney was a state representative from St. Louis County who rose from a milkman to become one of the leading consumer protection advocates in Missouri.
In the past few weeks, wedge issues have consumed a significant portion of the Missouri General Assembly’s time. It should not be a surprise. It is, after all, an election year.
It was a few decades ago that a Republican governor, Kit Bond championed ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.
There’s an old Washington adage going back at least 100 years that “the President proposes, Congress disposes.”
An Albany reader of my earlier column about relations between the governor and legislature suggested that Gov. Jay Nixon’s reluctance to work with lawmakers might reflect a lesson from former Gov. Bob Holden’s experience.
During the past few weeks, there have been increasing complaints from state legislators about the governor’s relationship with the Missouri General Assembly.
Not much happened this past week in Missouri’s Senate. There’s a one-word explanation why: filibuster.
- Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in... Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils... Best Summer Dishes
- CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove Flash Forward: Concept Cars...
- Hazardous Household Waste... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Andy Cohen At Busch Shelby's Big Night
- In case you missed it: KMOV’s Larry Conners Fired Over Facebook Comments stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/05/22/lar… 7 hours ago
- Police search for missing New Baden woman stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/05/22/sea… 8 hours ago
- Are you a bride-to-be? Lots of bridal shops have Memorial Day sales. Check out these local shops: cbsloc.al/14u4YGK #stl 9 hours ago
- Protestors: Police Shot “Un-armed” Man cbsloc.al/10MOYel #stl 9 hours ago