Creighton University economist Ernie Goss said weakness in nondurable-goods producers, such as food and ethanol makers, combined with worries about the global economy to slow business in the region.
Mid-America Business Conditions Index remained below growth neutral for a second month.
A quarter of the managers surveyed say the biggest hurdle in the next year is implementation of health care reform.
Economist Ernie Goss says even though the May numbers are positive, the region’s economic growth will slow in the months ahead.
Creighton University economist Ernie Goss says heavy manufacturing continues to be propel economic growth, with export-oriented manufacturers leading the way.
Creighton University economist Ernie Goss says there are signs that the higher energy and fuel prices are slowing growth in agriculture-dependent areas.
A survey suggests that rising fuel prices haven’t slowed the economy in a nine-state region in the Midwest and Plains.
The regional economy will grow slowly over the next three to six months, if at all.
Business conditions in nine Midwestern and Plains states suggest a slowdown in growth.
Higher energy prices and supply problems stemming from the Japanese tsunami and Midwest and Plains flooding have slowed economic growth.
- World's Largest Swimming... Most Romantic US Honeymoon... Flash Flooding in St. Louis Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- 15th Annual Komen Race For... Jim Gaffigan Joins Charlie... Unique Sunglasses For Summer Ballpark Village Update
- Best of Uncorked 2013 Autos Quiz: Name That Car Logo Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Jefferson Jackson Dinner
- End Sexual Violence National Doughnut Day Newest Zoo Addition Opens... D-Day Anniversary
- Local Clergy Abuse Survivor Testifies Before the United Nations cbsloc.al/16eXpUQ 1 hour ago
- 1 Dead 3 Injured in Shooting at Berkeley Apartment Complex cbsloc.al/16evmoo #Crime 2 hours ago
- Kerry Inc. In Affton Evacuated After Bomb Threat cbsloc.al/13ZL19h #MO 3 hours ago
- St. Louis CVC pays $2M to #Rams for legal fees ow.ly/mabmc #NFL 3 hours ago