The towers are all operated for the FAA at low-traffic airports and were to close by mid-June as the result of government-wide automatic spending cuts imposed by Congress.
American asked the Federal Aviation Administration to halt its flights until 4 p.m. CT.
Reuters reports the defective parts are pins that attach control surfaces to the plane’s tail.
The Federal Aviation Administration said the closures are being delayed in order to deal with legal challenges.
The airport is one of five in Illinois that are set to lose federal funding for control towers under the across-the-board government budget cuts.
The Federal Aviation Administration said in a letter, any review of proposed cuts would only be based on national interests.
The Federal Aviation Administration recently released a list of 238 airports were control towers could be closed as a result of budget cuts.
St. Louis Regional Airport would remain open after April 1, but without air traffic controllers, thanks to FAA budget cuts.
Airfield in Bethalto, Ill. is on list of those at risk of losing FAA control tower funding.
She says it’s absurd to retain the restrictions for passengers given that the FAA decided earlier this year to let pilots use tablet computers in the cockpit.
- Practice Round at Senior PGA Chelsea vs Manchester City... Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Busch Stadium Transforming...
- Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Local Artists Find Success on...
- Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils... Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows
- Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Hazardous Household Waste...
- Follow all the action between Chelsea vs. Manchester City tonight via KMOX's social story. cbsloc.al/18lWC5T #socceratbusch 3 hours ago
- CBS News Special Report: Boy Scouts vote on admitting gay scouts. 3 hours ago
- RT @KMOXKilleen: Smell that Smoke! A burning plastic, foul garbage smell rising in the smoke from Bridgeton landfill dig. http://t.co/HTA… 5 hours ago
- RT @damianpaletta: I'll be on @KMOX in a few minutes with @charliekmox talking about #IRS. Tune in St. Louis! 10 hours ago