The fire broke out about 7:30 p.m. Sunday in the basement of a home. Fire officials believe it started in a fireplace.
Smoke detectors alert resident in one blaze, other building was vacant
A fire at a meat market has caused extensive damage to two buildings in the Hyde Park neighborhood.
One fire caused by fireplace ashes in a garage
One had been trapped by flames, smoke
The fire was reported at 11:50 p.m. Sunday at Woodson Park apartments in Overland. The victim’s name has not been released.
Crews Sunday morning had to battle the elements & a tricky complex of structures
Firefighters used an outside ladder to get to a man trapped on the second floor because the stairs had burned away.
Coroner Steve Nonn says 71-year-old Edwin Winkler Sr.’s body was found by firefighters in an upstairs bedroom of the victim’s rural Edwardsville home.
Dog found next to 71-year-old victim