“John Boehner, the speaker of the House, basically threw in the towel. He said ‘we can’t do it here, do it in the Senate’”
House Democratic leader, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, says she expects, and wants, a straight up or down vote, on the Senate-passed bill avoiding the tax portion of the fiscal cliff.
The measure cleared the Senate early Tuesday, hours after Vice President Joe Biden and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell sealed a deal.
Ultimately, Shimkus says he is is not optimistic Congress will avert the fiscal cliff and places much of the blame for that on the Senate.
Members of the House of Representatives bolted town on Thursday after rejecting a plan advanced by House Speaker John Boehner.
More than a month after the election, things continue to get worse for the GOP brand. The lead Republican spokesperson during the fiscal cliff negotiations, House Speaker John Boehner, has a 34 percent approval rating. President Obama has a 54 percent approval rating.
A plunge over the federal “fiscal cliff” may sound like a terrifying risk for many state officials anxiously watching as Washington struggles to avert automatic tax hikes and spending cuts set to start with the new year. Yet their greatest angst may stem not from the potential loss of billions of dollars, but the confusion surrounding it all.
With one month to go before we reach the fiscal cliff, Republicans are going to have to figure out how to do something serious for a change instead of grandstanding and avoiding specifics.
Speaker John Boehner believes he holds a strong hand in fiscal cliff and debt limit talks. He is, once again, taking the global economy hostage and playing politics with the U.S. debt limit.
Jackson’s resignation and hushed absence from politics comes amid a continuing House Ethics Committee investigation into his dealings with imprisoned ex-Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.
- Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in... Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils... Best Summer Dishes
- CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove Flash Forward: Concept Cars...
- Hazardous Household Waste... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Andy Cohen At Busch Shelby's Big Night
- Is this a good idea? cbsloc.al/13F5dvR Metro Considers E-Cig Ban On Buses & Trains #stl 1 hour ago
- RT @MosbyBldgArts: @scottmosby just finished a talk with @kmoxnews about tornado safety & safe rooms. Link to on-air audio: http://t.co/2Qk… 2 hours ago
- The St. Louis area is in the midst of a seasonal outbreak of pink eye cbsloc.al/10M5I9Q 2 hours ago
- How You Can Help Recovery Efforts in Oklahoma cbsloc.al/10M1VZX 3 hours ago