Sen. Brad Lager said the timing and arguments of the environmental groups don’t make much sense.
“When it comes to creating jobs and transforming our economy, projects just don’t get any bigger than this one,” Nixon said. “This is our moment.”
Ameren’s current 40-year operating license for the Callaway County plant expires in 2024.
Illinois led the nation in the number of wind turbines installed in 2011.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission found two problems of what it calls “very low” safety significance.
Illinois has 14 nuclear reactors, 11 of which are still in business generating electricity. And they’re old, says David Kraft, executive director of the Nuclear Energy Information Service.
Terms of the deal involving Honeywell’s Metropolis plant were not released, pending a vote by the union’s members.
Ameren says expanded nuclear power remains a solution to meet energy needs.
It would have let customers be billed for some costs.
Legislation allowing utilities to charge electric customers for some of the initial costs of developing a nuclear power plant.
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Soccer Match Pep Rally at... Practice Round at Senior PGA Chelsea vs Manchester City...
- Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils...
- Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove
- RT @stltreasurer: "We've seen the future, and it's plastic!" Treasurer Jones via @kmoxnews stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/05/24/cit… 4 hours ago
- RT @caroldanielKMOX: Noon-time robbery of 2 employees @ Scott Credit Union ATM in OFallon, Ill. Police going over video from scene. http:/… 4 hours ago
- O’Fallon, Illinois ATM ‘Forcibly’ Robbed Friday cbsloc.al/16TZdGg 5 hours ago
- St. Clair County Judge Charged With Heroin, Gun Possession cbsloc.al/16TXfFR 5 hours ago