Nixon’s veto marks the second time in two years he has rejected the Legislature’s attempt to reverse the effects of a 2012 Supreme Court ruling that has put Missouri car dealers in border cities at a disadvantage.
Voters will decide on Proposition P, a 3/16-cent sales tax. It would raise the tax on a $10 purchase by roughly two cents.
Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon says it would shift the tax burden from corporations and affluent Missourians to those who can least afford it.
The tax would require approval by Missouri voters and go back on a statewide ballot after 10 years.
The increase would require voter approval and, if passed, would be resubmitted to the ballot after 10 years for Missourians to decide whether to continue.
The legislation given preliminary approval by the Republican-led Senate could mark Missouri’s most significant overhaul of its tax policies in a couple of decades.
The proposal would gradually reduce the state’s income tax rate by 1 percent while gradually increasing the state sales tax by one-half percent.
One proposal would increase the state sales tax by 1 cent for a decade.
Voters in the city and county would have to approve the 3/16th sales tax hike for it to take effect.
The St. Louis County Council introduced a bill Tuesday that would put the 3/16 of a cent sales tax increase to a vote of the people in the spring.
- Chelsea vs Manchester City Soccer Match Pep Rally at... Practice Round at Senior PGA Chelsea vs Manchester City...
- Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Busch Stadium Transforming... Tornado Rips Through Oklahoma... Circus Flora Tent Arrives in...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Local Artists Find Success on... Annie Malone Parade 2013 Landmarks Association Unveils...
- Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Ballpark Village Starting To... 2013 Tour de Grove
- Belleville man charged in sexual assault of a child stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/05/24/bel… 7 hours ago
- RT @stltreasurer: "We've seen the future, and it's plastic!" Treasurer Jones via @kmoxnews stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/05/24/cit… 12 hours ago
- RT @caroldanielKMOX: Noon-time robbery of 2 employees @ Scott Credit Union ATM in OFallon, Ill. Police going over video from scene. http:/… 13 hours ago
- O’Fallon, Illinois ATM ‘Forcibly’ Robbed Friday cbsloc.al/16TZdGg 14 hours ago