“It’s turned into a much bigger cleanup than we thought,” County Executive Steve Ehlmann said. “We are anticipating collecting about 50,000 tons of tree and limb debris.”
Missouri’s Conservation Department says the cottonwood was the second-largest tree on record in the state. It measured 310 inches around, with a 103-foot crown.
The National Weather Service said the river had crested in the St. Louis area and the Illinois towns of Grafton and Alton further north.
Warning sirens blared in West Alton Monday night as 590 residents were advised to evacuate because of a levee breach in northeastern St. Charles County.
According to HomeInsurance.com, Missouri homeowners pay over $300 more each year than residents of Illinois and Iowa but $400 less than Oklahoma residents.
Most of the outages nearly 35,000 were on the Missouri side of the St. Louis region as of about 1:00 p.m. Monday.
National Weather Service announced Saturday the severity of the storms that crossed through bi-state region on Friday night.
The strongest was an EF-3 that tore through St. Charles County, Friday night.
Waves of rough weather spawning high winds and a tornado tore through eastern Missouri and the St. Louis area Friday night, downing trees and power lines and sending gamblers rushing from a casino floor.
“When the prediction came to us in April, we built a wall with excess room at the top beyond what they suggested where the level might be,” Clarksville Mayor Jo Ann Smiley says.
- John O'Hurley in the KMOX... World's Largest Swimming... Most Romantic US Honeymoon... Flash Flooding in St. Louis
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... 15th Annual Komen Race For... Jim Gaffigan Joins Charlie... Unique Sunglasses For Summer
- Ballpark Village Update Best of Uncorked 2013 Autos Quiz: Name That Car Logo Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Jefferson Jackson Dinner End Sexual Violence National Doughnut Day Newest Zoo Addition Opens...
- Fire Chief Has New Equipment, Old Worries cbsloc.al/17YhUsM #STL 3 minutes ago
- RT @brettblumekmox: Nicholaus Lunceford, second suspect in Tuesday's fatal shooting in North County, has been taken into custody. 1 hour ago
- RT @Brpkelly: #stl county pd chief says merger of bomb and arson with city not part of gov't merger plan. Talks on merging other pd ops ong… 2 hours ago
- Vatterott College Told to Pay Woman $13 Million cbsloc.al/11LBQ9Y 2 hours ago