Tale of the tape
Week 15: Minnesota Vikings At St. Louis Rams
|The Vikings have grown into a one-dimensional offense. The running ability of Adrian Peterson is dynamic, but quarterback Christian Ponder has to contribute something. He lacks arm strength, accuracy and confidence. In the Vikings’ Week 14 win over the Bears, Ponder completed 11-of-17 for 91 yards with an interception. That’s a recipe for a loss in most weeks.||Quarterback||Sam Bradford may not be the most talented quarterback in the league, but he gets the most out of his ability. He is not going to overwhelm anyone with his arm strength or his ability to zip the ball in tight holes, but he excels at diagnosing an opponent’s weaknesses and then exploiting them. He can buy time with his feet and then get the ball to the open receiver.|
|Peterson is one of the most dynamic players in the NFL and he seems even stronger after coming back from ACL surgery than he was before he injured his knee last year. Peterson had over 100 yards rushing in the first quarter against the Bears in Week 14 and he finished the game with 154 yards. Now that Percy Harvin is done for the season, the Vikings will depend on Peterson even more than before.||Offense||Steven Jackson is a solid back and has helped take a lot of pressure off of Bradford. It’s a good thing, because the Rams don’t have stellar receiving talent. However, wide receiver Brandon Gibson is improving and becoming dependable. He caught six passes for 100 yards and a touchdown in the Week 14 win over the Bills.|
|The Vikings play physical and athletic defense and they should be at their best on the artificial turf at the Edward Jones Dome. The key is the ability of defensive end Jared Allen, who has a quick first step and he can turn the corner with speed. He has a team-high 9.0 sacks. Linebacker Chad Greenway has a team-high 126 tackles.||Defense||The Rams may not be able to match the Vikings in overall talent, but head coach Jeff Fisher has the Rams playing hard for 60 minutes. Defensive end Robert Quinn had a key sack in the win over the Bills and he is a solid pass rusher. Free safety Quintin Mikell is a solid all-around defender who can cover receivers and make hard-hitting tackles.|
|The Vikings have played effectively on special teams and that has been a big advantage for them this season. Punter Chris Kluwe has a strong leg and placekicker Blair Walsh has exceeded expectations, making 24-of-27 FG attempts this season.||Special Teams||The Rams have a pair of super rookies handling the placekicking and punting chores, and Johnny Hekker and Greg Zuerlein should prove to be one of the most effective special teams duos in the league over the next decade.|
The winner is
More Tales of the tape
NCAA Championship Game: #1 Louisville Vs. #4 Michigan
Rick Pitino has been here before, after making his 7th Final Four appearance, he’s now in his third go-round in the title game. He’s got plenty of experience on the big stage and he has the Cardinals playing high level basketball at the right time.
Super Bowl Halftime Show Vs. Neil Diamond: Who Takes The Trophy For Better Entertainment?
For years, both Neil Diamond and the Super Bowl Halftime show have been giving us, let’s say, mild overproduction (read: glitzy, flashy, and potentially unnecessary). So who’s got the edge between these two cheesy industry mainstays?
Harbaughs Vs. Baldwins: Which Pair Of Siblings Stand Out?
Harbaughs vs. Baldwins? Wow. What a battle! Let’s dig deep to see which pair of brothers has the upper hand.
- John O'Hurley in the KMOX... World's Largest Swimming... Most Romantic US Honeymoon... Flash Flooding in St. Louis
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... 15th Annual Komen Race For... Jim Gaffigan Joins Charlie... Unique Sunglasses For Summer
- Ballpark Village Update Best of Uncorked 2013 Autos Quiz: Name That Car Logo Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Jefferson Jackson Dinner End Sexual Violence National Doughnut Day Newest Zoo Addition Opens...
- Express Scripts to expand, add jobs stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/06/19/exp… 1 hour ago
- Keep your #smartphone safe during #summer bike trips with this bike pouch phone case cover: cbsloc.al/13Yaznj 2 hours ago
- St. Clair County Clerk Bob Delaney Resigns Amid Sexual Harassment Claims cbsloc.al/11orCRh #IL @caroldanielKMOX 3 hours ago
- Parents wanting to transfer their children out of failing school districts should act by Aug. 1 cbsloc.al/13Ty0zN #MO 4 hours ago