Brian Kelly

ST. LOUIS (KMOX)-Despite a two alarm fire there this morning, the show should go on at the Peabody Opera House.

St. Louis Fire Department Captain Dave Neighbors tells KMOX the fire started while workers were installing sound baffles onto some ductwork between the third and fourth floors, “They were using a flammable glue. Sparks from a drill ignited the glue which then ignited some of the insulation on the ductwork. About 17 to 20 feet of ductwork was affected.”

<< Photo Gallery>>

Neighbors says the firefighters had to crawl over about 20 feet of duct work to reach the fire. It was quickly extinguished and  there was minimal smoke damage.

Neighbors says he called for the second alarm for manpower, because of the heat.

The workers were evacuated. No one was hurt.

Opera House officials have released a statement saying that renovations “will not be interrupted”.  The theater is expected to reopen Oct 1.

Copyright KMOX Radio


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Download The App

Listen Live