Brett Blume

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KMOX) –  “Undetermined”.

That’s the conclusion of an investigator with the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s office concerning last month’s house fire in St. Charles that left four family members dead.

Only one person in the home at 510 Elmhurst survived the August 16th blaze — 11-year-old Dominic Zwilling.

Sooty handprints and smudge marks were found beneath the boy’s second-floor bedroom window, marking where he made his escape.

He met firefighters outside as they arrived and frantically told them that his family was trapped inside.

All four – 27-year-old Cameron Gresham, 30-year-old Lauren Zwilling, 8-year-old Quentin Gresham, and 2-year-old Maren Gresham – eventually succumbed to their injuries.

A thorough 10-page report concludes only that there were several elements that could be ruled out as a cause for the fire.

That list included the stove, the fireplace, a natural gas line, the water heater, and a wood-burning stove that was not on at the time the fire started.

What could not be ruled out as possible causes, according to the report, were “smoking materials or the use of candles”.

Neighbors told fire investigators that the family made extensive use of candles, and cigarettes were found on a bedside table.

The final line of the report says the cause of the deadly fire is classified as “undetermined”.



Copyright KMOX Radio


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live