Kevin Killeen

ST. LOUIS–(KMOX)–Grandma’s old bathrobe with droopy sleeves makes the list of fire hazards the St. Louis fire department is warning about this Christmas weekend .

“They wear a housecoat and they’re cooking breakfast and their housecoat catches fire,” said Captain Dan Sutter, “They don’t make headlines.  The house didn’t burn to the ground.  But the occupant gets injured, and sometimes severely, from wearing something like a housecoat or a  loose-fitting shirt sleeve.”

Among the other items on the warning list:

**Don’t run heat-generating appliances such as dishwashers and dryers while you’re sleeping.

**Never leave candles burning un-attended.

**Don’t let house guests who smoke light up inside the house.  Make them go outside.

**Make sure your Christmas lights and extension cords are UL-approved.

**Don’t plug several electric cords into the same outlet.

**Always turn off your holiday lights and Christmas tree if you’re leaving home or going to sleep.

img 3134 How to Avoid a Christmas Weekend House Fire

St. Louis Fire Captain Dan Sutter

Sutter says families should also plan a “meeting place” in case there is a fire, and never try to go back in the house.

“We recently had a fire where the smoke detector woke the occupants.  They exited the home.  But one of them went back in to find their dog, and he was overcome by smoke,” Sutter said.

Firefighters arrived and were able to get the man out safely and revive him.

Copyright KMOX



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live