PLATTE CITY, Mo. (AP) – Court documents reveal grisly details about the hatchet killing of one woman and the razor attack of another in northwest Missouri, crimes that have been connected to a Platte City man.

Quintin P. O’Dell, a 22-year-old Eagle Scout, is scheduled to be arraigned Monday on charges of first-degree murder, first-degree assault and armed criminal action. Prosecutor Eric Zahnd said the death penalty would be considered in the Platte County Circuit Court case.

O’Dell is jailed in Platte County on a $750,000 cash-only bond. There is no record of him having an attorney, according to the prosecutor’s office.

The investigation into the hatchet attack began this spring after the body of Alissa Faye Shippert, 22, was discovered. She had been attacked while fishing in the Platte Falls Conservation Area.

But O’Dell, who had worked with Shippert at a convenience store, wasn’t charged in the crime until after he was questioned in the December razor attack. The victim in that incident, a 21-year-old woman, awoke in her Ferrelview apartment the morning after Christmas with her belly slashed open.

Authorities said she was unconscious and on a ventilator for several days after the attack. According to the probable cause statement, she gradually began sharing details with investigators, including that she had spent Christmas night drinking with O’Dell.

According to court documents, O’Dell was interviewed by investigators this past week and told them he called the woman Christmas night and asked if he could “hang out.” She agreed and he arrived after 11 p.m. with a six-pack of beer and a bottle of tequila, a detective said in the probable cause statement.

But O’Dell said he became “enraged” after listening to the victim arguing on the phone with her recent boyfriend about the future of their relationship. The probable cause statement said O’Dell showed detectives the motion he used to cut open the victim using a razor he had seen earlier on her kitchen counter.

During the same interviews, according to the documents, O’Dell also disclosed details of the May 31 hatchet attack on Shippert. He said he walked alongside the Platte River that day and found the hatchet on the bank.

Eventually, he came upon Shippert and said he spent two hours talking to her while she fished. He told detectives the attack happened after he lost his footing in the river as he was trying to help her free her snagged line. He resurfaced downstream and walked back.

But he said Shippert thought he had drowned and began slapping him for frightening her. He told deputies he grabbed her in a bear hug to control her but that she began slapping him again when he released her.

“O’Dell claims that both he and Shippert reached for his hatchet on his canteen belt,” the probable cause statement said. “O’Dell pulled the hatchet away from Shippert and remembered striking her in the back of the head with the hatchet blade side while she was standing up.”

According to the court documents, O’Dell said he decided to end Shippert’s suffering and “repeatedly struck her in the face with the hatchet until she was no longer crying or breathing.”

Afterward, he said he decided to drown himself but lost his footing as he entered the river. As he fell, he said, he grabbed Shippert’s body, pulling it into the river with him. He then let go of her body and the hatchet, the documents said.

O’Dell said he returned to his mother’s home, where he was living, by floating down the river, according to the documents.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live