Fred Bodimer

ST. LOUIS (KMOX)- A local dermatologist says you need to be careful when using spray-on sunscreen, you could get burned, quite literally.

KMOX Health Editor, Fred Bodimer reports that’s exactly what happened to a Massachusetts man who applied his spray-on sunscreen right before barbecuing. Once he approached the grill, his skin caught on fire, leaving him with second-degree burns.

SLU Care dermatologist Dr. Scott Fosko says be careful because spray-ons have propellants in them. “Most propellants are liquified petroleum gas so as it says on the products themselves, they are flammable, and to avoid being around fire while you’re using them,” Fosko says.

Fosko says don’t just avoid barbecuing until the spray dries, but matches and cigarettes as well.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Download The App

Listen Live