OSAGE BEACH, Mo. (AP) — Authorities say improper wiring led to the deaths of two children at the Lake of the Ozarks on the Fourth of July.
Thirteen-year-old Alexandra Anderson and her 8-year-old brother Brayden, of Ashland, were swimming near a private a dock when electricity traveled into the water.
Sgt. Paul Reinsch of the Missouri State Highway Patrol says there was no ground fault interrupter to monitor the current and trip the electricity if there was a problem.
He says the electricity could have come from several sources, including a boat lift or a pump used to power a water slide.
After the children were shocked, adults pulled the children from the water and performed CPR until medical crews arrived.
The children were taken to an area hospital, where doctors pronounced them dead.
© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.