HOLLYWOOD HEIGHTS, Ill. (KMOX) —The two-month-old child who was injured in Friday morning’s flash fire near Cassville, Illinois is in critical but stable condition, with burns over up to 12 percent of her body.

That’s according to Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center officials, who identify the girl as Kayla Hopson.

Hollywood Heights Fire Chief Buddy Moore says the fire in the home in the 100 block of Southern Drive broke out while Kayla was lying near her grandmother, “(She) attempted to light a cigarette, forgot, I would imagine, that the oxygen was on, and caused what we call a flash.”

Moore says while the fire didn’t burn long, it did ignite the blankets on the bed, “Somebody, I don’t know who it was, took the blankets and took ’em outside and threw over the bannister. The oxygen machine itself, the mother has COPD, was actually still smoking.”

Moore says it Kayla had burns down the left side of her body, “From the chin, all the way down the arm, down the side, all the way down to the ankle was burnt pretty bad.”

Kayla’s mom, Laura Tucker, has issued a statement saying, “My mom is absolutely devastated over what happened. Immediately after she realized what happened, she ran to a neighbor’s house for help. Our family would appreciate prayers at this time.”

Moore credits his volunteer firefighters, Abbott ambulance crews, and St. Clair County Sheriff’s deputies with their quick response to the scene.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Download The App

Listen Live