KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City police say a 44-year-old woman may have died from sewer gas asphyxiation.

The woman, Bernice A. Weaver, was found unconscious Wednesday in front of the kitchen sink in a friend’s home. The plumbing underneath the sink had been disassembled.

Police reports said the house smelled strongly of sewer gas when officers arrived.

Weaver was taken to a hospital, where she was declared dead.

The Kansas City Star reports a plumber told the homeowner that the removal of the trap under the kitchen sink left an open sewer line into the house. The plumber also detected sewer gas coming from a basement floor drain.

The Jackson County Medical Examiner’s office has not officially determined the cause of death.

© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live