ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – A local Emergency Room doctor has a warning as the peak of firework season begins.

Dr. Ross Heller at Saint Louis University Hospital says he has seen too many kids in the emergency room this time of the year with burns and eye injuries resulting from sparklers.

Heller says parents should never let children use sparklers or other types of fireworks by themselves, even if they are legal.

All fireworks sold in the United States at license sellers are regulated. In addition most consumer firework companies have their products tested thoroughly, exceeding standards set by the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission.

But Dr. Heller says his best advice is to leave the lighting of fireworks to the experts.

“It is much safer to sit and watch the fireworks come up [when] somebody who is trained and professional shoots them up for you opposed to doing it yourself,” Heller says.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live