EAST ALTON, Ill. (AP) – Authorities say two people are hospitalized after a reported explosion at the Olin Brass casting site in the southwestern Illinois city of East Alton.
The medical conditions of those injured during the fire about noon Tuesday were not immediately clear, and additional details about the fire were not immediately available.
Cory Douglas was a member of a subcontracting company hired to remove metal shavings from the roughly 1,000-worker plant. He tells the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he heard a loud explosion, “like a gun going off.”
Olin spokeswoman Ann Pipkin says the cause of the blast hasn’t been determined.
East Alton is just northeast of St. Louis.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Trump Visits Boeing Plant In St. Louis, Talks Up Tax Reform
- Missouri Governor Indicted On Felony Invasion Of Privacy Charge
- Duckworth Will Not ‘Mindlessly Cater To Whims Of Cadet Bone Spurs’
- Incoming Snow, Ice Could Impact Driving Conditions
- Giraffe Born at Kansas City Zoo Weighs 105 Pounds
- Jake Bain’s Success Story To Be Featured At Blues Pride Night