COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – Police in the southwestern Illinois city of Collinsville say a pedestrian is dead after being hit by a car.
The Belleville News-Democrat reports that 69-year-old Joe Merrifield of Collinsville died at a St. Louis hospital shortly after the accident about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday.
Police say the car’s driver stayed at the scene after the accident and cooperated with investigators.
No charges have been filed.
Police have not publicly identified the motorist.
The investigation is continuing.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- SIUE Soccer Player Suspended over Fake IDs
- Court to hear LGBT woman’s claim of harassment at senior living facility
- Open Wounds – The Impact of Gun Violence in St. Louis
- Trooper Injured When Car Hit By Alleged Drunk Driver
- Injured Pontoon Beach Police Officer Comes Home
- Mother’s Boyfriend Charged in Two-Year-Old’s Death