FAIRVIEW HEIGHTS, Ill. (KMOX) – A suspect is in custody following a string of car break-ins and burglaries in Fairview Heights.
The Belleville News-Democrat reports that the 19-year-old was caught by police Tuesday after allegedly stealing from cars in East Alton.
A witness chased the man and police later used police dog to track him into a wooded area where he was captured.
At least 11 complaints were lodged from people who had items stolen from their parked cars from the St. Clair road and Old Lincoln trail area, or the Weinel Drive and Fairview Drive areas.
In most cases, police say the cars were unlocked. Formal charges are expected to be filed this afternoon, at which time the suspect’s name will be released.
The News-Democrat also reports that police in Fairview Heights don’t believe their suspect is responsible for a rash of car burglaries and break-ins that have taken place across the Metro East over the last week or so.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- SIUE Soccer Player Suspended over Fake IDs
- Court to hear LGBT woman’s claim of harassment at senior living facility
- Open Wounds – The Impact of Gun Violence in St. Louis
- Trooper Injured When Car Hit By Alleged Drunk Driver
- Injured Pontoon Beach Police Officer Comes Home
- Mother’s Boyfriend Charged in Two-Year-Old’s Death