ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) – A 22-month-old St. Charles girl attacked by her grandmother’s dog has died from her injuries.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Deriah Solem was pronounced dead on Saturday afternoon from head and neck injuries, according to the county medical examiner’s office.
The girl was mauled by the family dog, an 80-pound pit bull mix, on Thursday evening while the grandmother was babysitting the girl and her two brothers, ages 5 and 8.
The grandmother lost the tips of two fingers on each hand while trying to pry the animal’s jaw open. A neighbor who heard the child’s screams had to stab the dog several times with a steak knife.
A police investigation is complete, and no criminal charges are expected. The 10-year-old dog has been euthanized.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Trump Visits Boeing Plant In St. Louis, Talks Up Tax Reform
- Missouri Governor Indicted On Felony Invasion Of Privacy Charge
- Duckworth Will Not ‘Mindlessly Cater To Whims Of Cadet Bone Spurs’
- Incoming Snow, Ice Could Impact Driving Conditions
- Giraffe Born at Kansas City Zoo Weighs 105 Pounds
- Jake Bain’s Success Story To Be Featured At Blues Pride Night