Terre Haute, Ind. (CBS ST. LOUIS) — An Indiana doctor shot and killed his bride and then himself just hours after the two were married, authorities say.

George Samson, 54, an anesthesiologist at Union Hospital, was married to Kelly Samson, 50, on Saturday evening before an argument at their wedding reception led to what police say is a murder-suicide at the couple’s own home. The wedding reception tent was still in the front yard.

“The investigation has revealed that there was a verbal argument between the couple toward the end of the reception, which carried over to the after party at the couples’ home,” said Vigo County Chief Deputy Sheriff Clark Cottom in an email to the Indianapolis Star. “Shortly after the last guest left at around 1:17 a.m., Kelly Ecker Samson called 911 reporting that her husband had threatened to kill her. There were a total of three very brief 911 calls, which in the first two the caller disconnected.”

Cottom said that the couple was having “domestic problems” at the house, and guests “decided it best if they left.”

A 911 call placed by Kelly Samson reveals her telling the dispatcher the 4205 North Creal address before she says that her husband is “beating the s*** out of me” and adding that “he’s got guns inside.”

At that point, the call abruptly cuts off around 1:20 a.m. on Sunday.

“The phone call went dead in a short amount of time. Dispatchers immediately dispatched deputies to the scene,” Cottom told WTHI-TV.

Minutes later, Kelly calls back:

Kelly: “Help!”

Dispatch: “What’s the address of your emergency?”

Kelly: “4205 North Creal.”

Dispatch: “Ok 4205…”

Kelly: “Oh my God!”

Multiple gunshots can be heard and the phone call ends.

Coroner Dr. Susan Amos tells WTHI that Kelly Samson died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds to the chest and neck. An elderly couple and the Samsons’ 10-year old son were in the home at the time and were safely removed from the house without injuries.

After the shooting, authorities say George Samson retreated to the basement with several firearms.

“We received information from the elderly male that the female’s husband Scott Samson had retreated to the basement,” said Cottom. “The remote camera was able to determine he was in the basement, unresponsive.”

Samson died as a result of a single gunshot wound to the head. He is registered as a federal license dealer and the sheriff’s office is currently taking inventory of his gun collection.

Union Hospital, where Samson is listed as a doctor, declined to comment to WTHI about the incident.

Comments (4)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s