The officer was working for a security firm at the time.

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – An 18-year-old man, Vonderrit Myers, is dead after police say he fired shots at an off-duty officer and the officer returned fire.

The officer involved shooting occurred in the 4100 block of Shaw in South St. Louis around 8 p.m. Wednesday. The officer was working for a private security firm hired by the neighborhood at the time of the shooting.

Secondary employment allows police officers to work security in uniform and carry their department-issued weapons, says a release from the department. St. Louis police officers work secondary for securities companies, business establishments and sporting events.

The officer, while not on duty for the department, operates in the capacity as a St. Louis police officer and still has the same responsibilities and power to arrest, the release says.

Police say an off-duty police officer approached four men in a car and the men ran.

The officer followed. Then police say one of the men ran into a gangway and the officer followed.

When the officer approached there was a struggle. Police say during the altercation the man’s sweatshirt came off it was clear to the officer that the man had a gun. The man ran up a hill and reportedly turned, pulled a gun and fired at the officer.

According to Police Chief Sam Dotson, who briefed the media at 1 a.m. on Thursday, the man fired three rounds at the officer and continued to fire, but his gun jammed. The officer then returned fire, shooting 17 rounds, striking and killing  the man.

Police say the Myers’ 9mm handgun was recovered at the scene. The gun was reported stolen on Sept. 26.

Dotson described the 18-year-old as a being “no stranger to law enforcement.”

Shortly after the shooting, a crowd gathered at the scene and protests began on Grand.

KMOX’s Michael Calhoun has been covering this story since it began and took these videos of protesters:

Dotson said there had not been any looting, but several police vehicles were damaged. No arrests had been made as of 1 a.m.

Demonstrators marched down Grand and police shut down the road and diverted traffic to allow protesters to walk through. Dotson said he felt it was important the demonstrators be able to voice their opinions.

The St. Louis Police Department’s new Force Investigative Unit will be investigating this shooting to determine if the officer’s actions were excessive. The findings will be presented to the circuit attorney.

KMOX will continue to follow this developing story.

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


Listen Live