ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KMOX) – A Christmas-themed atheist billboard attracts attention in St. Charles County.
The billboard can be seen by motorists driving westbound on Interstate 70 near Cave Springs. It shows a girl wearing a Santa hat writing a letter to Santa that says, “Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is to skip church. I’m too old for fairy tales.”
Danielle Muscato with the group American Atheists is behind the campaign.
“We want people to understand that there are many, many atheists out there – it’s not just you,” he says. “And if you don’t believe, you don’t have to pretend that you believe.”
Muscato says the billboard here, along with identical ones in Nashville, Memphis and Fort Smith, Arkansas, are drawing mixed reviews.
Some love it, he says, and others hate it. There is a petition drive to take it down in Fort Smith.
“We are not calling religious people stupid, or criticizing them as people,” Muscato says. “We’re saying that what they believe is not true, and that’s our point of view on it.”
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Trump Visits Boeing Plant In St. Louis, Talks Up Tax Reform
- Missouri Governor Indicted On Felony Invasion Of Privacy Charge
- Duckworth Will Not ‘Mindlessly Cater To Whims Of Cadet Bone Spurs’
- Incoming Snow, Ice Could Impact Driving Conditions
- Giraffe Born at Kansas City Zoo Weighs 105 Pounds
- Jake Bain’s Success Story To Be Featured At Blues Pride Night