ST. LOUIS (KMOX/AP) – A spokeswoman for Mayor Francis Slay’s office says the city has strict licensure requirements for boilers, much like the van-sized one that exploded yesterday near Soulard, killing three people and injuring four others in two businesses.

READ: Boiler Explosion Near Soulard Kills 3, Injures 4

St. Louis Fire Chief Dennis Jenkerson says the boiler blew up at Loy-Lange Box Co., killing a person there, before flying about 500 feet onto a laundry business, killing two more people.

St. Louis police say 59-year-old Kenneth Trentham of St. Louis was killed at Loy-Lange. Trentham was one of three engineers there with up-to-date city licenses required for operating boilers, Crane says.

The names of the two found dead inside the offices of Faultless Laundry have not been released, but officials say they were filling out paperwork as new hires.

A spokesman for a federal workplace-safety agency says, they are now investigating the deadly boiler explosion, and the complicated probe may take months to complete.

Scott Allen with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) office in Chicago said Tuesday that while OSHA tries to complete investigations as swiftly as possible, by law it has six months to do it.


ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – OSHA is now investigating the boiler explosion at Lange Box Company. A check of previous workplace violations shows there have been three since 2014.

In August 2016, the company paid $3,741 out after holes were found in floors that prevented proper cleaning.

In November of 2014, an inspection revealed defective equipment, and Lange Box paid just over $6,500 in fines.

Back in February of 2014, Lange Box paid out $2,450 for defective energy control procedures, for example, not properly training workers to ensure machinery was turned off and powered down.

What is not known is if any of these violations were related to boilers.

Two people are still on life support following Monday’s explosion in Soulard that killed three people.

Two others were taken to hospitals in serious condition, St. Louis Fire Chief Dennis Jenkerson didn’t have an update on them. No identities have been released yet.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live