ST. LOUIS (KMOX) (9:10 p.m. update) — Two suspects, ages 22 and 24, are in custody after allegedly shooting two St. Louis police officers Friday afternoon.

Interim Police Chief Lawrence O’Toole also says investigators recovered two weapons — a 9 mm handgun and a 7.62 assault rifle.

O’Toole said the victims are a male and female officer who suffered wounds to their hands and legs. O’Toole also said there are some injuries to their faces from shrapnel. The male officer is 35-years-old and has been on the force for nine years. The female officer is 32-years-old and has been on the force for 10 years.

“One officer was able to fire I believe probably one or two shots, we don’t know, we will find that out,” O’Toole says.

The officers were on a “gang squad investigation” in the 800 block of Dickson when they spotted a person of interest. Police say the officers turned around, and that’s when the suspect opened fire. The officers drove away and came to a stop at 14th and Cass, where they were picked up by other responding officers and taken to the hospital.

But the officers weren’t the only ones injured this afternoon.

“The total disregard for safety from these suspects led, unfortunately, to a lady in a nearby building being struck in the head by a bullet,” O’Toole told reporters during a Friday night news conference. “That lady is in an area hospital in critical condition.”

O’Toole says the woman was an innocent bystander who was critically injured in her home.

Charges haven’t yet been filed, but O’Toole says the two suspects, who haven’t yet been identified, will be charged with assaulting the police officers, assaulting the woman and weapons charges.

“These are violent offenders,” said the chief. “They don’t want to be taken, they don’t care about anyone else. When they’re firing an assault rilf ein like this in a highly urban area, obviously they have total disregard for the safety of anyone other than themselves.”

O’Toole says the officers are doing quite well considering their injuries.

He says the suspects were taken into custody without any further shots being fired.

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook

Comments (6)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s