ST. LOUIS (KMOX/AP) – Fire strikes a downtown St. Louis motel early Tuesday morning, and a space heater is blamed.

St. Louis Fire Capt. Leon Whitener says crews responded to American’s Best Value Inn near Lumiere Place on the Landing about 8:30 a.m. The fire forced those staying at the motel to evacuate on a morning with a below-zero wind chill.

He says they appear to have pinpointed the cause of the two-alarm blaze.

“We believe it to be a wall-mounted heater, that maintenance there says had been giving them issues, was the cause of the fire,” Whitener says.

The room where the fire began was unoccupied.

Five people, including a woman and her three young children, were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Weather
Download The App
Watch CBSN Live

Listen Live